Ten Thank You Notes to Lorenzo
1. When I first hired you Lorenzo, in 1991, I was a little frustrated that you weren’t faster and more experienced. But it wasn’t long before I noticed how much care and pride you put into your work and I knew there was something very special about you. I could trust you and in return you were loyal to me. Thank you, Lorenzo.
2. If not for you, I probably would have spent most of my time in the orchard instead of creating our new business to Seattle, which saved our orchard. Janice and I spent many days and nights in Seattle developing our business with our friend Bruce Henne. Many of these days were during harvest and other stressful times in the orchard and I don’t know how I could have done it without you. Thank you, Lorenzo.
3. You and I actually had a lot in common Lorenzo,…4 daughters, to be exact.
You had your challenges with your girls as I did too with mine but I never doubted your love and devotion to each and every one of your family members and I know it meant so much to you to be surrounded by your loved ones, as you lay ill. Thank you Lorenzo, for loving your family so much.
4. In the winter of 1995 I suffered a major heart attack. You and Marbella were there for us helping baby-sit our girls and helping my dad run the orchard. You were blessed with 6 girls then! Thank you, Lorenzo!
5. I deeply respect your family. You didn’t drink and smoke. You respected property and held yourself and your family to high moral standards. You did so out of the great love you have for God. Thank you, Lorenzo.
6. Now, I’m not saying you were perfect. No…actually you were very annoying at times. You were never satisfied with your paycheck. I know you felt your hard work and loyalty was worth more than I could possibly afford. But even though you were probably right, it was because of your loyalty that you would graciously accept your wages and never mention it again… at least not until the next pay period. Thanks Lorenzo for not being perfect.
7. When you would ask if you could hire someone new you would always refer to this new person as your… ‘Brother’. I’ve always found it a good thing to hire a family member so I would always agree. After years of hiring several of your… ‘brothers,’ I finally had to ask the obvious question… “How many brothers do you have?” You would look at me with that very annoying ‘gotcha’ smile of yours and say they were your… ‘Brothers in Christ’. On your death bed, I recently asked if there was anything I could do for you and you replied, “please hire my brother”. Thank you, Lorenzo.
8. At the time I first hired you, Lorenzo I didn’t know you were Seventh Day Adventist but I was thankful that you were because you held me painfully accountable when my orchard wasn’t.. ‘keeping the Sabbath’. I didn’t always agree with your judgment but it always led to some very interesting discussion. Thank you, Lorenzo.
9 You and I would frequently find our selves in the orchard having discussions on various topics. The discussions I miss the most were about how great is our God, and how we don’t have to worry about hail or freezing weather because this orchard belongs to Jesus and Jesus will decide what’s best. We are only His stewards. Thank you, Lorenzo.
10. Lorenzo, you have been apart of this orchard for 18 years. As I walk down those rows of apples and cherries I will never forget you because I am always surrounded by your work. In many ways my orchard will always be a monument to you. Thank you, Lorenzo and goodbye. I love you.